Move through kitchen orders, get food out fast, and keep your customers coming back.
A quick solution
People come to you for good food served quickly. The Square for Restaurants POS system helps you manage your stations, keep customers moving, and stay one step ahead of the rush. We do hardware, software, orders, and payments—everything you need.
More speed in the checkout process.
Brannon Riceci, Boke Bowl in Portland
Point of Sale
Our restaurant POS is built for speed. From fast order entry to back-of-house operations, every tool helps your team move faster.
- Use conversational modifiers to speed up ordering.
- Make real-time menu updates across devices.
- Repeat an order in a few taps.
A kitchen display system that keeps your whole restaurant in sync.
- Handle the rush and reduce costs with digital tickets.
- Manage all your orders from one screen.
- Get food prepared and packaged just right.
Third-party partner integrations
Square for Restaurants syncs with popular restaurant management partners, including Quickbooks, Marketman, Homebase, and BentoBox. See how our partner integrations can help from inventory management to delivery.
Shop restaurant-grade stations, stand kits, receipt printers, and more.
Our fully integrated POS solution features a customer-facing display and is ready out of the box. Available with the Free Restaurants plan.
iPad and Square Stand
Add accessories (cash drawers, receipt printers) and run your whole POS and kitchen display from an iPad.
Your all-in-one credit card machine for tableside payments and receipts.
Without Square, we wouldn’t be scaling.
Zachary Forman, Tartinery
Setup and support
Square for Restaurants is simple to use from day one. But if you need help, we offer one-on-one implementation services and 24/7 customer support for sellers on our Plus/Premium plans and M–F 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT customer support for sellers on our Free plan.
Take orders on your free restaurant website without commissions. Set up delivery, curbside pickup, and self-serve ordering.
- Easily import menu items and start selling right away.
- Seamless order integration with Restaurant POS and Square KDS.
- Control takeout margins with on-demand delivery fulfillment for no commissions.
Manage all your Square Online and third-party delivery orders directly in your point of sale and Square KDS.
- Consolidate online order reporting.
- Skip manual order entry to reduce errors.
- Automatically print or view kitchen tickets on Square KDS.
Create, send, and track email and social media campaigns.
- Build custom marketing campaigns with templates and tools.
- Tailor messaging to target groups like new customers.
- Get real-time reports to see how promotions perform.
Accept all types of payments quickly and securely, whether you’re behind the counter, online, or on the go.
- Next-day transfers, same rate across cards.
- No refund fees, no chargeback fees.
- End-to-end encryption, PCI compliant payments.
There’s data behind every dish. Understand all aspects of your business with detailed data and custom reports.
- See real-time sales directly on your POS.
- Run reports by daypart, covers, employees, comps, and voids.
- Know what sells best and get alerts when inventory is low.
Know your customers
Offer more of what they want, and use analytics to grow your business intelligently.
- Review profiles, visits, and feedback to see who's coming back and why.
- Measure the effectiveness of loyalty programs and promotions.
- Send targeted messages to new or lapsed customers.
Increase sales by rewarding repeat customers with a loyalty program. They can sign up at checkout in a few seconds.
- Track and compare loyalty and non-loyalty sales.
- Boost sales and bring in new customers with Square Gift Cards.
- Offer reward levels based on items, visits, or amount spent.
Full-service payroll integrated with your Square POS. Track hours and tips, automate payroll tax filings and withholdings, and offer employee benefits like health insurance—all with Square Payroll.
More tools to help you succeed
Your Square account unlocks a powerful platform of services and add-on tools that work together. Just a few:
Three simple plans. No hidden fees. Cancel anytime.
2.6% + 10¢ processing rate.
Everything you need to handle day-to-day service.
- M–F 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT support**
- Fast order entry
- Menu management
- Remote device management
- Order manager
- Dining preferences
- Multi-location management
- Square Team Management free plan
Streamline operations and boost revenue as your needs grow more complex.
Per month per location.
+$40/month per added POS device.
30-day free trial.
Includes Free plan and:
- 24/7 support
- Shared device settings
- Auto 86ing & item counts
- Live sales
- Advanced reporting
- Shift reports
- Close of day reports
- Square Team Plus
Get a custom plan that scales as you expand your footprint and your brand.
Includes Plus plan and discounts* on optional add-ons:
- Square Marketing
- Square Loyalty
- Square Payroll
*Available if you process more than $250,000 per year. Other exclusions apply. Contact Sales →
**Square Register comes with 24/7 support across all plans.
Learn about Square Register & Plus compatibility →
Stay up to date
Learn about updated features, stories from other businesses, and the latest promotions.
Nice to meet you
We think businesses are as unique as the people who run them. Get individualized content on the topics you care about most by telling us a little more about yourself.
Get started free
Fast setup. No long-term contract. Cancel anytime.
- Is Square for Restaurants right for my business?
Square for Restaurants is a good fit for single- and multi-location full-service restaurants, quick-service restaurants, fast-casual restaurants, bars, breweries, and multi-concept restaurants. If you’re a restaurant owner or manager who already uses Restaurant Management Software, such as Micros, Aloha, Harbortouch, POSitouch, Toast POS, Upserve, or other POS providers or POS software, Square for Restaurants can likely fit your needs at a lower cost. We now offer a free version of Square for Restaurants in addition to our paid plans. Try our four-step cost calculator to learn more.
- How much does Square for Restaurants cost?
We have three pricing plans.
Our Free plan covers basic day-to-day service. You can add Square KDS to your Free plan for just $20 per month per device.
- For more complex needs, subscribe to our Plus plan
- You can use Square for Restaurants on one countertop POS device for $60 per month per location. Add more countertop POS devices for an additional software cost of $40 per month per device.
- Your Plus plan also enables you to use unlimited Square KDS devices at no additional software cost.
- *Limited Time Offer: Until 1/15/23, use Square for Restaurants mobile POS software on unlimited handheld devices for $0. A $50 per month per location fee applies starting on 1/16/23. Terms and conditions apply.
- If you process more than $250,000 per year, contact our Sales team to get custom pricing and hardware discounts with our Premium plan.
All Square for Restaurants plans have a processing rate of 2.6% + 10¢. Plus and Premium plans come with a free 30-day trial. You can upgrade, downgrade or terminate your plan whenever you need. Square for Restaurants plans do not include hardware - You may use existing compatible devices or purchase new hardware from Square Shop; installment plans available.
For more details on our plans, visit our pricing page.
- What’s included in each of the three pricing plans?
All three Square for Restaurants plans include Fast Order Entry, Menu Manager, Order Manager, Table Management, Open Checks, Auto Gratuity, Remote Device Management, Multi-Location Management, the Square Team Management free plan, and 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT support.
With the Plus plan, you get access to premium features including Close of Day Reports, Auto 86ing, Item Counts, Shared Device Settings, Advanced Reporting, Live Sales Reports, Square Team Plus. With Plus, you can also use unlimited Square KDS devices at no cost. In addition, you can enable tableside ordering and payments on unlimited handheld devices for free until 01/15/2023 and $50 per month per location after 1/16/2023. Finally, your Plus plan also comes with 24/7 phone Support for the moments that matter.
Premium subscribers get everything listed above as well as custom pricing for additional Square tools, such as Square Payroll, Square Marketing, Square Loyalty, and Square Online. Eligibility applies. Contact sales to learn more.
To see a complete list of features for each restaurant point-of-sale system plans, visit our pricing page.
- Is Square KDS included in Restaurants Plus?
Yes, Square KDS is available with the Square for Restaurants Plus subscription ($60 per location + $40 per additional POS device) with no additional cost per KDS display.
- Is hardware included?
Hardware is not included with your Square for Restaurants subscription. You can shop for compatible kits and devices at the Square Shop to find hardware that suits your needs. Contact our sales team for hardware discount offers (eligibility applies). Square for Restaurants is compatible with iPad and industry kitchen printers, receipt printers, cash drawers, and routers, so you may be able to use your existing hardware.
- Is the hardware bought or leased?
All hardware, whether purchased as a one-time cost or financed via installment payments, is bought. It’s 100% yours once you’ve completed payments. Explore restaurant POS kits.
- How do I set up Square for Restaurants?
You can sign up for the free version of Square for Restaurants or start a free 30-day trial of Square for Restaurants Plus here. Please note: You’ll need to use a computer to sign up. Setup is simple, and you can self-onboard with the Free and Plus plans to start adding menu items right away. But if you need help, we offer one-on-one implementation services and 24/7 customer support for sellers on our Plus and Premium plans and M–F, 6 a.m.–6 p.m. PT customer support for sellers on our Free plan. To discuss a custom Premium plan, contact our sales team.
- Is Square Register compatible with Square for Restaurants?
Square Register is compatible with the Square for Restaurants Free plan. It is also compatible with the Square for Restaurants Plus and Premium plans with the exception of two features: “Reopen closed checks” and the “Close-of-day” report. Both features are coming soon.
- How do I set up Square for Restaurants on Square Register?
Setup on Register is simple, and this support article explains everything you need to know. Note that you’ll need to update your software to the latest version (details on that here and create a device code on your Square Dashboard before signing in and following the onscreen instructions. Reminder: if you are using Square for Restaurants Plus and Premium there are two features that are not compatible with Square Register: “Reopen closed checks” and the “Close-of-day” report. Both features are coming soon.
- What is Square for Restaurants mobile POS?
Square for Restaurants mobile POS enables you to take orders and payments tableside or in line on a handheld device. Square for Restaurants mobile POS is available only to Plus or Premium plan subscribers.
*Limited Time Offer: Until 1/15/23, use Square for Restaurants mobile POS software on unlimited handheld devices for $0. A $50 per month per location fee applies starting on 1/16/23. Terms and conditions apply.
- Which devices can I use to run Square for Restaurants mobile POS?
If you want to take orders and payments tableside or in line with Square for Restaurants mobile POS, you have two device options:
- Square Terminal, a portable, all-in-one device with a built-in receipt printer. If you already have a Square Terminal and want to start taking tableside orders and payments with Square for Restaurants mobile POS, learn how to get it set up.
- Mobile POS kit, with a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, custom L7 Case, and Square Reader for contactless and chip.
You can mix and match devices based on your needs. You’ll still need to have at least one countertop device enabled to execute closing procedures, monitor live sales and perform certain check actions (e.g. bulk actions, split checks and merge checks). We plan to add some of this functionality to Square for Restaurants mobile POS in the near future.
- Is Square Terminal compatible with Square for Restaurants?
Square Terminal is compatible with Square for Restaurants. You can use Square for Restaurants mobile POS on one or more Square Terminal devices to take orders and payments tableside or in line. Square for Restaurants mobile POS is available only to subscribers on a Plus or Premium plan.
Special offer: You can use unlimited handheld devices for $0 until 1/15/23. A $50 per month per location fee applies starting on 1/16/23. Terms and conditions apply.
- How do I set up Square for Restaurants on Square Terminal?
Setup on Square Terminal is simple, and this support article explains everything you need to know. First, you’ll need to update your software to the latest version (details on that here) and create a Square for Restaurants mobile POS device code on your Square Dashboard. Then, sign in and follow the on-screen instructions.
- How do I switch from Square Point of Sale to a Restaurants plan?
You can switch from Square Point of Sale to the Free or Plus Square for Restaurants plans by subscribing here. You’ll be able to utilize your existing features and setup. The only new setup will be for added functionality that’s included with your Restaurants plan.
- How do I upgrade or downgrade my Square for Restaurants plan?
You can upgrade from the Free plan to the Plus plan by subscribing to it here. You’ll be able to utilize all existing features and setup. The only new setup will be for the added functionality that’s included with your upgrade. After your 30-day free trial, you’ll be charged $60 per month per location. If you choose not to subscribe, you’ll be downgraded to the Free Restaurants plan, and you can continue to use the Restaurants POS system or choose to use Square Point of Sale.
Square Register will be fully compatible with our Plus and Premium plans in the future. For now you can still choose to upgrade to Square for Restaurants Plus and use various features such as Advanced Reporting, Square Device Settings, and the Team Management free plan from your Square Dashboard. You will also receive 24/7 support.
You’ll have the option to keep your Team Plus subscription. If you cancel it, you’ll still be able to utilize the Team Management free plan features. You’ll see messaging in your Dashboard to let you know which features you’ll lose with the downgrade. You can compare plan features on our pricing page.
To upgrade to the custom Premium plan, contact our sales team.